Sunday, June 21, 2009

Clear, Sunny, 80ish...for Grandma's Marathon?


In my 33 years of existence on this earth, I have made at a minimum an annual pilgrimage to Duluth, Minnesota during the summer months. Many of those trips have been made early in the month of June, which in my experience have began with foggy/damp mornings, followed by lovely afternoons with highs in the 70s if you are lucky. This is how the two days preceding Grandma's Marathon began.

Then came June 20, 2009. The day of many firsts for Mike, Megan and the other SS (Slow & Sober) members, who were to experience their first marathon. It began at 5:15 a.m. to an actual sunrise. Crystal clear blue sky. Sadly now, there can be but one outcome. It was a beautiful day for anything on the North Shore-except a marathon. The high on Saturday was 85 degrees.


The day started out with my parents and I dropping Mike at the Super One Foods in Two Harbors to take a shuttle to the start of the race. We drove to Duluth to eat breakfast and participate in the festivities at Canal Park to greet our racers as the finish line.

Nothing could have prepared us for Saturday's conditions. Mike said that the black flag was raised for much of the race, signifying extreme heat and difficult racing conditions. I observed many folks who were extraordinarily fit vomiting at the finish line or being carted off in wheel chairs, unable to move on their own volition any longer in the sweltering heat.

Well, thanks to excellent training, camaraderie, prayers and sheer determination, the race ended well for my loved ones and team SS. Everyone completed the marathon unharmed, with Megan and Kathy kicking butt and finishing under 5 hours.


Mike successfully completed the marathon, which was described by a new friend from Iowa, Jim, as simply "Today is about survival." Never has such a statement been more true. I have seen how diligently Mike has trained for this race since January, including many long runs in excess of 20 miles in the upper 70s.


In all of the time I have spent on the North Shore during my life, I remember once approximately 25 years ago when it was in the 80s in Duluth. I think that was in August. Despite a greyish pallor upon completion of the race, Mike continued to persevere, and I am happy to report is already eager to register for next year. This is the first time I've been in Duluth for Grandma's. What an experience! It was a great atmosphere and I'm looking forward to next year and hopefully cooler temperatures.


I am so proud of the entire crew, including our cheering section, for making it through the day. It was also wonderful to meet Megan's dear friends: Brian, Chris, Jim, Kathy and Ben. What a great group of folks! Team SS rocks!

No comments: